login   |    register
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Go Go Go!
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
Joined: March 12, 2002
KitMaker: 1,413 posts
Armorama: 1,279 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 10:40 PM UTC
A vignette with some leftover figures I had from a larger diorama I am working on. Bravo 6 figures. Paper plants and Eduard plants.











165thspc
#0
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Joined: April 13, 2011
KitMaker: 8,455 posts
Armorama: 7,871 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 01:19 AM UTC
Great concept for a dio!

But again you are using a thread title that gives no clue what we are about to see. You will get better view counts (more interest shown) if you use a title that will snag those folks who are truely interested in your subject. Just say'n.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Joined: February 01, 2005
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 1,631 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 01:58 AM UTC
That is a brilliant little dio.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
Joined: January 05, 2005
KitMaker: 1,842 posts
Armorama: 1,470 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 02:41 AM UTC
Very , very cool !!!
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Joined: February 24, 2014
KitMaker: 2,802 posts
Armorama: 2,277 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 02:49 AM UTC
Repurposing those leftovers — way to go! Great job!
IMHO, the title works. It got my attention the minute I logged-in.

Cheers!🍺
—mike
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
Joined: March 15, 2009
KitMaker: 2,774 posts
Armorama: 1,515 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 02:59 AM UTC
Excellent work, and a great little idea for a small diorama. This would be a great conversation piece on a desk somewhere-- but I'd weight the tube to keep it from tipping. I would have been proud to have had this on my desk when I was on active duty!
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
Joined: March 11, 2016
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 755 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 05:03 AM UTC
Time to pop smoke.
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Joined: June 08, 2015
KitMaker: 988 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Repurposing those leftovers — way to go! Great job!
IMHO, the title works. It got my attention the minute I logged-in.

Cheers!🍺
—mike



I concur, the title pulled me in and I'm impressed with your work. it's well thought out and executed, well done indeed.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
Joined: December 24, 2002
KitMaker: 3,890 posts
Armorama: 2,309 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 06:04 AM UTC
Awesome...just a few figures on groundwork conveys the message so well.

Is the tree handmade or store bought? What vendors comprise the plants and groundwork?
Pongo_Arm
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Joined: January 27, 2017
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 06:16 AM UTC
Amazing work, what a concept and execution!
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
Joined: March 12, 2002
KitMaker: 1,413 posts
Armorama: 1,279 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 09:10 AM UTC
Thanks for all the kind comments. I will be doing a Part 2 with 7 figures from Bravo 6. These were the three I decided did not work in the composition of the larger diorama. So that too will be a jungle one - this was sort of a practice piece.

The tree is hand made. I got some of that seafoam stuff or whatever it really is and used green flocking. At first I thought I could spray the branches with hairspray and sprinkle the flocking but that did not work. I decided I needed something that was very slow drying to give me the time to sprinkle the flocking exactly where I wanted it. I decided on oil paint - I globbed it on the branches only where I wanted the flocking and then dipped the branches in the piled up flocking. Later I painted the tree bark areas chocolate brown. I will do the same for my larger diorama but I will have two trees and one fallen tree too.

The ferns are laser cut paper plants from a Japanese company. They are white paper and you paint them the color you want.

The dark ground cover are actually leaves from Eduard. I painted them and shadowed and highlighted them while on the fret. But a huge PIA to cut them off individually from the fret and then having to paint the edges again due to the removing from the fret. Then I had to bend each one to get a more natural look. Then I had to take thin wire and bend it like an 'L' for a stem support (they just don't lay on the ground) and glue each one on. Then paint those too!

The actual ground work is that newer stuff offered by different companies of pre-mixed paste like and textured mud or dirt. I like it a lot having used it before. It dries like cement. Anyway, after studying photos of Vietnam jungles I noticed lots of debris on the ground in the form of branches and leaves and whatnot, so I mixed in spices and stuff from the kitchen, emphasizing Rosemary leaves. Finally, I sprinkled on a few brown birch seeds on the top of the surface.

It only took me a day - a full day though - to prep all of the vegetation and a half a day to lay it all on. This was the fastest groundwork I have ever done.

I tried to take a close-up of the kneeling guy cus I put a pair of glasses on him, but the photo did not turn out so good. His face looks better in person.
HARV
#012
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Joined: November 07, 2003
KitMaker: 2,942 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 10:01 AM UTC
Absolutely love it. Nice action scene with an great idea for a base. Never thought of doing something like that.

Well done.

Randy